Thursday, April 1, 2010

How I came to love Steampunk


I first heard about steampunk in 2007. My girlfriend was reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. I asked her what it was about and she told me it was a steampunk alternative history novel.


I was intrigued! I knew about punk music and culture but had never heard of this “steampunk” before. I started Googling it and found out that it included a lot of unique inventions and Victorian fashion, two things that I loved. Since I was a boy I’ve always had a knack for making and fixing things out of existing materials, a trait that served me well doing experiments in physics labs for my undergraduate degree.


My fondness for Victorian fashion is another factor that makes steampunk appealing. I think that the corset is my favorite article of clothing and believe that nothing is as beautiful as a fitted and well-designed corset.


Last year when I went to Comic-Con with my girlfriend (pictured to the left next to a steampunk). I was delighted to see lots of people in corsets. I was inspired to start designing my own corsets, and immediately started making prototypes that summer. This year at Comic-Con we will both be dressing up!


Right now I’m focusing on steampunk and Neo-Victorian corsets, but I plan on eventually doing fantasy oriented corsets and costumes as well. I enjoy reading fantasy novels and watching fantasy and sci-fi movies, so I get a lot of inspiration from those.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis